Monday, October 10, 2011

Thankful For Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving has always been my absolute favourite holiday. I don’t know if I can describe why but it’s more of a feeling that I get than anything else. It’s a time to reflect on all we have rather than all we lack, there is no focus on what gift to give and what you will receive, it’s a time to see that we are truly blessed in more ways than we may be able to recognize. I love that we have a holiday set aside to spend quality time with the ones we love while we reflect on the countless blessings we enjoy! I have much to be thankful for and I hope you realize that you do to. I sometimes like to make a list of the things I’m grateful for and I’m always surprised when I make it into the hundreds and I haven’t had to think very hard yet. If we are pen to recognizing them the blessings come to mind almost effortlessly. I’d have to say gratitude is one of my favourite characteristics. In the Bible Luke chapter 17 there were ten lepers who desired that Jesus would heal them of their sickness. He granted them their desire but only one of the lepers returned to Jesus and gave him thanks for the miracle that so greatly changed his life. The other nine left to continue their lives as healthy men, forgetting to give thanks for such a wonderful blessing. I never want to be considered ungrateful for the gifts I receive so I try to consciously think of those each day. Here’s my list of 30 things I’m grateful for:


1.     Good people who surround me in life, strong friendships and loving family
2.     A holiday that is set aside to relax, spend time with the ones you love and reflect on how blessed you are
3.     Talents we have and ones we can develop
4.     Future opportunities
5.     Times you catch up with an old friend and years may have passed but it feels like days
6.     A warm place to live and never having to go without any basic needs
7.     My membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter – Day Saints
8.     My wonderful career and even better job
9.     Answered prayers
10.     The library because you can find almost anything you’re looking for and a yearly membership is about $12
11.     Childhood memories
12.    A clean room
13.     Being able to see the good in others around me and having others recognize my positive traits
14.     Favourite things in life like a favourite book, movie, treat, color, perfume, picture, pair of jeans, cozy pajamas, song on the radio, quote, ect…..
15.     The days you get to sleep in
16.  Back scratches and the people who are willing to itch my back for me :) 
17.     My health
18.     Perfect timing and when life just seems to flow continuously
19.     Patience (both having and receiving)
20.     For all the things I own that make life easier
21.     Advil when I get cramps
22.     Hopes, dreams and wishes for my future
23.     Kind words
24.     Funky monkey booster juices
25.     Open communication, even when what you have to say or hear is difficult
26.     Getting the last open parking stall
27.     Good food
28.      To Do lists and the satisfaction that comes when you get to check something off
29.      To see those elderly couples who still hold hands after 50 years of marriage. I hope I have that one day.
30.     The ability to accomplish the hard things in life and the feeling that follows when I do something I thought I couldn’t

I could go on and on, there is so much more I’m grateful for! I hope you’ll make your own list because science has proven that when we say “thank you” for the good stuff in life we become happier and healthier people!




No comments:

Post a Comment